Wednesday, January 20

January 20th: The two best ladies and one sore throat

So today my two favorite women of all time were born. My mother (Madre) and my sister (Sis). I am so gratefu to have such amazing women in my life. I wish they lived closer, but I'm hoping that will soon be the case.

I was really hoping to call and serenade them with their usual birthday song, but alas, I've come down with strep throat, and I'm home sick. My blog post won't be all that exciting today as I'm feeling pretty wretched.

The one thought of the day I'll have is this. I've come to realize that most people in this world have no idea how to be sympathetic, and they only think of themselves. Now I realize that as a single woman, I often think of myself. However, if you ask most of my friends, they'll usually say that I'm the most loyal and giving person they know. I'm happy to invite you over, lend you things out of my closet, or help out when a friend is sick or just plain lonely. I still love snail mail, and I send cards for very small reasons. That being said, I've realized in the business world that no one wants to be kind unless they want something from you. Even when I was at work today with a 100 degree fever, my boss wanted me to go pick up his lunch. When I explained that I was sick and waiting for my doctor's appointment, he promptly went and asked someone else, and proceeded to bribe her by buying her lunch. Did he even offer to pick something up for me even though I was sick? No. And did I order his lunch and get everything ready for his meeting? Yes. But I guess that's just the way some people work. I'm done expecting people to be kind, even when you feel like complete and utter crap. I think some people enjoy seeing others down. It makes them feel like their life isn't so bad. The sad thing is that my life, even with strep throat, is better than most of my coworkers will ever be. Why? Because I approach my life with wonder, joy, love, hope, and awe. And most of the people I encounter harbor hate and bitterness, and have become so hardened that they've lost the ability to care for others. No matter what happens to me, I know I'll never become that way. So, even though I can't sing, there is a song in my heart that will never die.

Buono Notte,

Miss L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment